Nationwide Integration Work
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment is responsible for the preparation of issues related to integration in Finland. Minister of Employment Jari Lindström is the minister responsible for integration affairs.
Under the Integration Act, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment is responsible for
- the overall development, planning and steering of the integration policy;
- the coordination, assessment and monitoring of the integration policy and the promotion of good ethnic relations at national level.
The Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment steers the ELY Centres in their tasks related to promoting integration and good ethnic relations.
Inter-ministerial integration cooperation group
In order to promote cooperation and exchanges of information between the ministries and to enable the coordination of their measures, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment is assisted by a cooperation body, in which the ministries playing a key role in integration are represented.
The purpose of this group is to enhance the impact of integration by coordinating and improving the efficiency of national planning of integration, measures and guidance in the ministries that play a key role in integration.
The group’s tasks include
- to discuss integration policy aspects requiring joint discussion that concern different branches of administration
- to collect, evaluate and analyse data on integration and integration policy implementation to promote immigrant integration and enhance the impact of integration policy
- serve as a steering group for the drafting and monitoring of the Government Integration Programme.
The members of the cooperation group are high-level public officials from different ministries. The cooperation group has representatives from the Ministry of Education and Culture, the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health, the Ministry of the Interior, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the Department for Local Government and Regional Administration of the Ministry of Finance, and the Ministry of the Environment. The group is chaired by the Director General of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment’s Employment and Entrepreneurship Department.